The official rules for the French-American Foundation and Florence Gould Foundation Annual Translation Prize.
- The French-American Foundation and Florence Gould Foundation award two annual prizes, one in fiction, and one in nonfiction.
- The prizes are for outstanding published English translations of prose originally written in French.
- Each winning translator is the sole recipient of the $10,000 prize. It is at the Jury’s discretion to split the prize between two winning translators in a specific category.
- Prize money will be bestowed at an Awards Ceremony in May-June 2020. In the event that the winning translator cannot attend the ceremony, the Foundation reserves the right to give the prize to a second choice finalist who is able to attend and promote the evening.
- Translators who have won in previous years must wait at least three years to be eligible to win again in the same category.
- The Translation Prize cannot be won more than three times in a lifetime by the same translator for either category.
- It is at the Jury’s discretion to award an Honorary Prize, including to translators who may have won the Translation Prize three times. There is no monetary component to the Honorary Prize.
- Translations for consideration for the 33rd Annual Translation Prize must have been published for the first time in the United States between January 1 and December 31, 2019.
- Only book-length translations will be accepted.
- All categories of fiction and non-fiction works are eligible, with the exception of poetry, technical, scientific and reference works, graphic novels, and children’s literature.
- Self-published books and reprints are not eligible.
- Although all eligible books must have been published in the United States, translators may be of any nationality.
- Works representing a collaboration by two translators are eligible, but anthologies in which an editor has collected the work of a number of translators will not be considered.
- For works selected as finalists, it is the responsibility of the submitting party to provide the French-American Foundation with an appropriate number of hard copies of the French and English versions, in a timely manner.
- Submissions that fail to meet this criteria will be removed from consideration.
For more information, please contact Katie DeMallie at [email protected].