Examining cyber security challenges in a transatlantic context
The French-American Foundation has a longstanding commitment to advancing dialogue on cyber security-related topics of mutual concern for France and the United States. The Cyber Security Program comprises the annual Cyber Security Conference and relevant events in our other program initiatives that assemble leaders in military, government, industry, and academia to examine emerging cyber security challenges in a transatlantic context.
Cyber Security Conference
The French-American Foundation’s Cyber Security Conference is the flagship initiative of this program. It builds on the earlier work of the French-American Defense Symposia (1996-2013) which provided a unique forum for senior military and government leaders to discuss key issues in defense policy.
Taking place once a year since 2014, the Conference assembles nearly 100 cyber security experts from various backgrounds on both sides of the Atlantic at a two-day event with moderated panel discussions and networking opportunities. Each conference is designed around a specific theme in light of the most pressing concerns at the time.
Last year’s conference (September 25 and 26, 2018), titled Cyber Security and Digital Identity, discussed the balance between ensuring security in cyberspace and protecting personal information and privacy. Through a series of panel and group discussions, the seminar explored topics from French and American cyber security priorities to anonymity online.
The 2019 conference will take place on September 17 and 18 in Washington, DC. More details to come shortly.
The Cyber Security Program is integrated with other initiatives. Many of our Policy Breakfasts, Transatlantic Forums, and themes in our Young Leaders seminars touch on related subjects. Below is a list of some of our recent events:
- Transatlantic Forum: The Age of Artificial Intelligence (January 9, 2019)
- Transatlantic Forum: Leveraging Blockchain (November 7, 2018)
- Policy Breakfast: Looking Forward – Transforming and Growing a Successful Organization in the Digital Age (May 17, 2018)
- Transatlantic Forum: Technology and the Fight Against Climate Change (April 11, 2018)
- Transatlantic Forum: The Future of the Open Internet in a Changing Technology Space (March 14, 2018)
- Transatlantic Forum: International Cybercrime – Navigating the Law of the Web (November 8, 2017)
Readings on this topic
- Agence nationale de la sécurité des systèmes d’information
- European Union framework on Cybersecurity
- The CSIS Technology Policy Program provides data-driven analysis and recommendations on cybersecurity, privacy and surveillance, technology and innovation, and internet governance.
- The Brookings Institution Reports on Cybersecurity
- The Washington Post publishes The Cybersecurity 202, a newsletter on cyber security policy news.
- Op-ed in the Washington Post regarding cyber attacks on US utilities
- Intelligence artificielle: la France lance un plan à 665 millions d’euros
- Five Things You Need to Know About France’s New Cyber Norm Proposal