75th Anniversary of D-Day
June 14, 2019
In the News
Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron and US President Donald Trump commemorated the 75th anniversary of D-Day at the Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer in France, near Omaha Beach, where the Americans landed on June 6, 1944.
President Trump and President Macron honored the memory of the American soldiers and their allies who took part in the operation. The day of the invasion, more than 150,000 troops landed on Normandy beaches, most of them American, British, and Canadian. In his remarks, President Macron directly thanked World War II veterans who attend the ceremony for preserving liberty.
D-Day landings along the Normandy coast marked the beginning of the end of Europe’s Nazi occupation and World War II, and set the foundation for the modern transatlantic alliance. During the ceremony, President Trump nodded to the military partnerships between the Allied nations and President Macron called to “never cease to perpetuate the alliance of free people,” citing the creation of the United Nations at the end of the war.
The French-American Foundation perpetuates more than two centuries of shared ideals and friendship between the United States and France. Our programs, from our annual Gala to our monthly Transatlantic Forum, assemble leaders from industry, government, business, the military, and the arts to advance crucial dialogue between both sides of the Atlantic.
- D-Day: Trump and world leaders celebrate the Normandy invasion that saved Europe from Nazism, The Washington Post, 6 June 2019
- The big challenge after D-day tribute: keep the memory alive, The Washington Post, June 6, 2019
- Malgré les divergences, Trump et Macron louent la force du lien transatlantique, Le Monde, June 6, 2019
- Jour J : Macron et Trump célèbrent le 75e anniversaire du Débarquement, Le Monde, June 7, 2019
- Women at war: Backstage heroines in D-Day’s 75th anniversary, The Washington Post, June 7, 2019
- ‘Archaeology of D-Day’ Aims to Preserve What the Soldiers Left Behind, The New York Times, June 5, 2019
- The World Grows More Dangerous by the Day, The New York Times, June 13, 2019