2012 Young Leaders Seminar
Paris and Le Havre, France - Invite Only
The French-American Foundation hosted its annual meeting of Young Leaders, a carefully-selected group of influential men and women from diverse sectors such as business, technology, government, and arts & culture, in Paris and Le Havre October 2nd-7th, 2012.
2012 Young Leaders
Since 1981, our flagship program has fostered a strong network of transatlantic leaders. The program takes small groups of carefully selected up-and-coming leaders in government, business, media, military, culture, and civil society and provides them with the opportunity to spend five days discussing issues of common concern and getting to know one another. Our Young Leaders Program is meant for participants—to engage with one another, to challenge each other’s ideas, to form new friendships. Each year, we see the “magic” in the connections that are formed. A testament to these connections are the alumni who decide to join us each year.
In Paris, they met with Charles H. Rivkin the U.S. Ambassador to France, and then, they visited the Finance Commission and discuss with Jérôme Chartier, MP and Mayor of Domont, 2003 Young Leader.
The following day, a meeting with André Martinez, Special Advisor to the Minister of Finance and the Economy Pierre Moscovici, took place.Then, they had lunch with Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, Minister of Women’s Rights and Government Spokesperson, 2006 Young Leader.
In Le Havre, they had lunch at City Hall with Edouard Philippe, MP and Mayor of Le Havre, 2012 Young Leader, and now Prime Minister.
Learn more about the complete agenda below.
Tuesday, 10/2 – Paris
- Welcome and Introductory Session with:
– Jean-Luc Allavena, Chairman of the Board of the French-American Foundation – France, 2001 Young Leader
– Allan Chapin, Chairman of the Board of the French-American Foundation – United States
- Meeting with the U.S. Ambassador to France Charles H. Rivkin. US Embassy Residence
- Visit of the Finance Commission and discussion with Jérôme Chartier, MP and Mayor of Domont, 2003 Young Leader, Assemblée Nationale.
- Dinner at the Automobile Club of France
Wednesday, 10/3 – Paris
- Young Leaders session with Alain Minc, President, AM Conseil, 1981 Young Leader
- Meeting with André Martinez, Special Advisor to the Minister of Finance and the Economy Pierre Moscovici, Ministère de l’Economie, des Finances et de l’Industrie.
- Lunch with Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, Minister of Women’s Rights and Government Spokesperson, 2006 Young Leader
- Meeting with Frédéric Oudéa, President, Société Générale, and 2002 Young Leader Bertrand Badré, Group Chief Financial Officer, and visit of the trading floor
- Exclusive preview of the Edward Hopper exhibition at the Grand Palais- Welcome by Didier Ottinger, Deputy Director of the Georges-Pompidou National Center for Art and Culture, and of the National Museum of Modern Art
- Young Leaders reception at the Grand Palais
Thursday, 10/4 – Le Havre
- Welcome Lunch at City Hall – Introduction from Edouard Philippe, MP and Mayor of Le Havre, 2012 Young Leader
– Remarks by Dominique Dhervilliez, Director of Le Havre Planning Agency
– Remarks by Ariela Katz, Ph.D in architectural history
- Guided architectural visits of Le Havre
- Young Leaders session on globalization- Introduction by Edouard Philippe
– Moderation by Philippe Manière, Managing Partner, Footprint > consultants, 1994 Young Leader
- Guided visit of the Port of Le Havre
Friday, 10/5 – Calvados
- Guided visit of the Pointe du Hoc
- Guided visit of the American Cemetery in Colleville
- Young Leaders sessions moderated by Charles Kolb, President French-American Foundation – United States
– Themes: The Rise of Inequalities in Europe and the United States; Education and Innovation
- Dinner at Villerville, as guests of M. Vianney de Chalus, President of Le Havre Chamber of Commerce
Saturday, 10/6 – Le Havre
- Young Leaders session and Program debriefing, moderated by Laurence Ville, Managing Director, French-American Foundation – France.
- Guided visit of the Malraux Museum
- Closing dinner at the Prieuré de Graville, with a musical concert by Karol Beffa, Pianist, 2005 Young Leader
Created in 1981 to foster closer working relationships between French and American leaders in the post-war period, the Young Leaders program counts over 400 alumni including former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former World Bank President Robert Zoellick, and business leader John Thain (CIT Group).
French Young Leaders include President Emmauel Macron, former President of French Republic Francois Hollande, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, former Minister of Finance Pierre Moscovici, former Minister Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, and business leader Henri de Castries (AXA).